Enterprise Architecture Fundamentals
|Instructor||CEU Units||# of Lectures||Hours per Week||Tuition|
This course provides students with an understanding of the basic concepts and practices of Enterprise Architecture (EA). Upon course completion students will:
- Understand the role of EA in integrated IT governance; specifically, how EA relates to IT-related strategic planning, capital planning, operations management, security and privacy, program management, standards, and workforce planning.
- Understand how EA uses strategic priorities and business requirements to drive IT solution development, and implementation.
- Understand how EA functions as both a management program and documentation methodology.
- Understand how the scope of the EA program and documentation method is visualized through a hierarchical framework that encompasses strategic initiatives, business processes, information flows, IT systems and services, and networks.
- Understand how EA can lower the risk of implementing successful IT solutions.
- Understand how EA addresses organizational culture and dynamics in supporting strategies for implementing and managing change.
- Understand the historical roots of EA practice and theory.
- Understand Department of Defense approaches to EA documentation.
- Understand how to use scenario planning to gain executive level participation in future architecture development.
- Experience in completing EA documentation in selected areas.
- Experience in establishing and populating an EA website and documentation repository.
- Participate in on-line threaded discussions of EA topics with fellow students that will bring out real-world experiences in dealing with EA issues, challenges, and opportunities.
- Work on a project to populate a web-based architecture documentation repository. The project reinforces the course concepts and shows the students how the strategic, business and technology levels of the architecture are connected through the documentation artifacts. Students will focus on learning the EA concepts and methods.
An Introduction to Holistic Enterprise Architecture, 4th Edition, by Scott A. Bernard, AuthorHouse, ISBN: 978-17283588055
TopicsLecture 1: Enterprise Architecture Theory and Practice Overview
Lecture 2: The Roots of Enterprise Architecture - Age of Information
Lecture 3: The Scope of Enterprise Architecture - Meta Model
Lecture 4: EA Basic Element 1 - Integrated Governance
Lecture 5: EA Basic Element 3 - Documentation Framework
Lecture 6: EA Basic Element 5 - Documentation Repository
Lecture 7: EA Documentation Overview
Lecture 8: EA Documentation Area - 1 Strategy Sub-Architecture
Lecture 9: EA Documentation Area - 3 Data Sub-Architecture
Lecture 10: EA Documentation Area - 5 Network Sub-Architecture
Lecture 11: EA Documentation Area - 7 Standards
Lecture 12: Combining EA Artifacts